24 June 2008

Questions participants should ask before agreeing to participate in a research study

Investigators are always on the look out for participants to enroll in a study; without them, how could you collect valuable data?

When approaching/recruiting potential participants, provide lots of information about your study but also encourage them to ask questions. Full disclosure about the study and honest answers to questions will make life easy for you, the investigator, as well as your participants.

Some questions participants should ask (courtesy of OHRP - http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/outreach/questions.html):

  • Why is the research being done?

  • What will be done to me as part of the research?

  • How will I benefit from the research?

  • Could the research hurt me?

  • What will the researcher do with my information?

  • Will the research cost me anything?

  • Who pays if I�m unexpectedly injured in the study?

  • How long will the study last?

  • What happens if I decide to leave the study early?

  • Who should I call if I have a question about the research?

No comments: